From PostgreSQL wikiJump to navigationJump to search
This page contains historical information or deprecated articles.
This list contains all PostgreSQL bugs and features requests that were solved in 9.1. There is a Todo page too for bugs and features that are still not solved.
- [D] Allow auto-selection of partitioned tables for min/max() operations
- There was a patch on -hackers from July 2009, but it has not been merged: MIN/MAX optimization for partitioned table
- [D] Improve server security options
- [D] Allow the client to authenticate the server in a Unix-domain socket connection, e.g., using SO_PEERCRED
- [D] Increase maximum values for max_standby_streaming_delay and log_min_duration_statement
- [D] Allow pg_hba.conf to specify host names along with IP addresses
- Host name lookup could occur when the postmaster reads the pg_hba.conf file, or when the backend starts. Another solution would be to reverse lookup the connection IP and check that hostname against the host names in pg_hba.conf. We could also then check that the host name maps to the IP address.
- [D] Have pg_hba.conf consider "replication" special only in the database field
- [D] Rename unix domain socket 'ident' connections to 'peer', to avoid confusion with TCP 'ident'
- [D] Allow the clearing of cluster-level statistics
- Resetting cluster-wide statistics
- pg_stat_reset_shared('bgwriter') (9.0) now handles the pg_stat_bgwriter subset of this
Point-In-Time Recovery (PITR)
- [D] Allow recovery.conf to support the same syntax as postgresql.conf, including quoting
Standby server mode
- [D] Add a new privilege for connecting for streaming replication
- [D] Add capability to take and send a base backup over the streaming replication connection, making it possible to initialize a new standby server from a running primary server without a WAL archive or other access to the primary server.
- [D] Allow the automatic removal of old directories when streaming base backups
- [D] Reduce storage space for small NUMERICs
- [D] Allow adding enumerated values to an existing enumerated data type
MONEY Data Type
- [D] Add printf()-like functionality
- [D] Allow more fine-grained collation selection
Right now the collation is fixed at database creation time.
- Re: Patch for collation using ICU
- FW: Win32 unicode vs ICU
- Re: FW: Win32 unicode vs ICU
- Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch
- For review: Initial support for COLLATE
- Proposed COLLATE implementation
- TODO item: locale per database patch (new iteration)
- Re: FW: Win32 unicode vs ICU
- Re: Fixed length data types issue
- [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1)
- WIP patch: Collation support
- Re: WIP patch: Collation support
- PGDay.it collation discussion notes
- Unicode collation algorithm
- [D] Set client encoding based on the client operating system encoding
- Currently client_encoding is set in postgresql.conf, which defaults to the server encoding.
- [D] Fix TRUNCATE ... RESTART IDENTITY so its effect on sequences is rolled back on transaction abort
- [D] Enable standard_conforming_strings by default
- When this is done, backslash-quote should be prohibited in non-E'' strings because of possible confusion over how such strings treat backslashes. Basically, '' is always safe for a literal single quote, while \' might or might not be based on the backslash handling rules.
- [D] Allow INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE ... RETURNING in common table expressions
- [D] Add support for functional dependencies
- This would allow omitting GROUP BY columns when grouping by the primary key.
- [D] Allow CREATE TABLE to optionally create a table if it does not already exist, without throwing an error
- The fact that tables contain data makes this more complex than other CREATE OR REPLACE operations.
- [D] Allow an existing index to be marked as a table's primary key
- [D] Allow ALTER TYPE on composite types to perform operations similar to ALTER TABLE
- [D] Don't require table rewrite on ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN TYPE, when the old and new data types are binary compatible
- [D] Reduce locking required for ALTER commands
- [D] Fix removal of NULL constraints in inherited tables
- [D] Improve CLUSTER performance by sorting to reduce random I/O
- [D] Add tracebacks
- [D] Consider showing TOAST and index sizes in \dt+
- [D] Add \dL to show languages
- [D] Distinguish between unique indexes and unique constraints in \d+
- [D] Add code to detect client encoding and locale from the operating system environment
- [D] Support empty indexed values (such as zero-element arrays) properly
- [D] Behave correctly for cases where some elements of an indexed value are NULL
- [D] Support queries that require a full scan
- [D] Improve GIN's handling of NULL array values
- [D] Consider improving serialized transaction behavior to avoid anomalies
- [D] Allow WAL logging to be turned off for a table, but the table might be dropped or truncated during crash recovery
- Allow tables to bypass WAL writes and just fsync() dirty pages on commit. This should be implemented using ALTER TABLE, e.g. ALTER TABLE PERSISTENCE [ DROP | TRUNCATE | DEFAULT ]. Tables using non-default logging should not use referential integrity with default-logging tables. A table without dirty buffers during a crash could perhaps avoid the drop/truncate.
Optimizer / Executor
- [D] Allow hashing to be used on arrays, if the element type is hashable
- [D] Improve the module installation experience (/contrib, etc)