PostgreSQL 9.0 Open Items
From PostgreSQL wiki
Revision as of 12:27, 8 August 2010 by Petere
- Current state is Beta 4
- Beta 5 (or possibly RC1) will likely be wrapped mid-August
- Current projected production release date is late August 2010
- First commit fest for 9.1 begins 15 July 2010
- ExplainOnePlan handles snapshots differently than ProcessQuery
- Backup procedure is wrong?
- Walreceiver crashes in AIX
- BUG #5595: Documentation is not installs from VPATH build.
- Hot Standby needs to fully support VACUUM FULL
- BUG #5236: Aparent bug in ecpg
- rhaas says: fixed by mmeskes
- AbortOutOfAnyTransaction within ProcessInterrupts is *utterly* unsafe
- Archive recovery broken on EXEC_BACKEND (win32)
- Poor handling of error cases for deferrable unique constraints
- Replace ALTER TABLE ... SET STATISTICS DISTINCT with a general attribute-options facility
- pg_listener entries deleted under heavy NOTIFY load only on Windows
- B-tree dead page removal not safe with read-only transactions
- Bogus handling of relcache init files during HS replay
- Large object ownership and permissions are dumped incorrectly
- Fix pg_hba.conf handling of "@"
- Fix GSS crash
- incorrect exit code from psql with single transaction + violation of deferred FK constraint
- Duplicative display of exclusion constraints in psql \d
- missing need_initialization = false in reloptions code
- Ragged latency log data in multi-threaded pgbench: patch, review with updated patch
- ALTER ROLE/DATABASE RESET ALL versus security: commit message
- Redefine smart shutdown in standby mode?
- Add the GUC parameter to specify the maximum number of log file segments held in pg_xlog directory to send to the standby server. Which is useful to avoid disk full in the primary.
- Starting recovery connections from a shutdown checkpoint
- Walreceiver and dblink are not interruptible on win32. - related thread
- Document changes to situations where WAL-logging can be skipped.
- Standalone backends run StartupXLOG in an incorrect environment
- Fix walsender to not assume template1 exists
- Improve behavior of SUSET GUC variables added by loadable modules
- Fix to_char('L') (localization) on Win32 when the operating system character encoding does not match the database encoding   ,applied patch.
- don't allow walsender to consume superuser_reserved_connection slots, or during shutdown
- Tuning of KnownAssignedXids module
- clarify HS error message when WAL settings are no good
- rhaas says: issue should be addressed by Heikki's WAL-level patch
- Documentation overflows TeX capacity while building PDFs
- change "AuthenticationOK" to "AuthenticationMaybeOK"?
- Incrementally Updated Backups and restartpoints - doc change
- Doc update for Hot Standby - PMState
- Interesting near-bug in shared-dependency management - commit by tgl
- Type Mismatch Error in Set Returning Functions - change in user exposed behavior between versions
Resolved after Beta1
- ERROR: btree index keys must be ordered by attribute - resolved commit
- ALTER ROLE/DATABASE RESET ALL versus security - fixed by this patch
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH versus rpath
- SQLSTATE for Hot Standby cancellation
- Assertion failure in walreceiver - fixed
- HS/SR and smart shutdown - fixed
- Patch for additional checking for SIGHUP - was Fuji-san's patch applied after this message?
- Hot Standby performance and deadlocking
- %u used in process listing - remove? - someone got there first
- Smart shutdown gets stuck - patch to fix from Fuji Masao, associated test test associated with fix
- Where should wal_level description and location be in postgresql.conf (no action required)
- keep_mumble or min_wal_segments naming (no consensus on a better name)
- invalid declspec for PG_MODULE_MAGIC - done
- vacuum_defer_cleanup_age listed on postgresql.conf.sample? (it's there now)
- Add SIGCHLD catch to psql
- psql \? \daS
- Performance problem in textanycat/anytextcat
- CLUSTER doc patch - something along these lines committed by rhaas
- Outstanding issues in HS/SR - Resolved? Simon thinks yes.
- Assertion failure twophase.c (2) (testing HS/SR) - Simon says this is resolved
- small exclusion constraints patch - suggestion was to just document we'd need to remove the sanity check if we ever did add support for such a case (<>), done
- Mergejoin null handling
- move 'long long' check to c.h
- Should we revert the default output format for bytea to the old style before shipping 9.0.0?
- tgl thinks we should leave that there for awhile, though I agree it's likely that the final decision will be "no change".
- Crash in buildfarm for Mac OS X 10.6.3
- the machine ran out of disk space, but we would like to find out exactly what happened because UpdateControlFile should always update in place.
- walsender in smart shutdown
- Patch for distinguishing normal shutdown from unexpected exit - patch being reviewed, Robert Haas to commit - but requests help with review
- GiST readme update - done
- improve plpgsql's EXECUTE 'select into' message with a hint - done
Resolved after Beta2
- Standby instead of "slave" in documentation - done
- fillfactor gets set to zero for toast tables - done
- Doc patch for _PG_Init and PLs, Update from Josh Tolley
- ALTER TABLE .. DISABLE/ENABLE TRIGGER are out of date patch committed
- EXPLAIN: some constructs that are legal YAML may come through as the wrong type
- should we rename restartpoint_command to archive_cleanup_command? - done
- checkpoint_segments during recovery
- .pgpass entry for SR
- parser handling of large object OIDs, with patch
- autovacuum doesn't know that analyze can also collect stats for inheritance trees
- rhaas says: moving this back from the long-term issues bucket; this is a new issue in 9.0
- rhaas says: proposed doc patch
- Improve the document about pg_last_xlog_receive_location()
- Streaming Replication can't sent WAL that has not been fsync'd on master
- revert changes to expose plperl subs as directly callable? Now reverted.
- Mention 'create or replace function' no longer allows renaming parameters in the incompatibilities section of the 9.0 release notes.
- supply alternate hstore operator for equals-greater in preparation for later user in function parameter assignment
- pg_upgrade issues on Windows
- Streaming Replication needs to detect death of master
- missing "else" in postmaster.c?
- Attempts to create both PLpythonU and PLpython3U fail
- max_standby_delay thread
- normalize use of LDFLAGS
- Fix log_temp_files units
Resolved after Beta3
- crash-recovery replay of CREATE TABLESPACE is broken
- regclass columns go boom with pg_upgrade
- pg_dump is broken for user mappings
- failed to fetch tuple for EvalPlanQual recheck
- page corruption after moving tablespace
- Documentation fails to build as PDF
Resolved after Beta4
These items are not 9.0-specific or brand new features for 9.1. They should be fixed or integrated eventually, but not for now.
Known bugs and limitations
- COPY statements with paths containing non-ASCII characters under WinXP
- Todo#Miscellaneous Other: Deal with encoding issues for filenames in the server filesystem
- BUG #4769: xmlconcat produces invalid xml values
- latest patch, but still has some problems.
- Better to leave it alone until we have a full fix in 9.1.
- Thread safety and libxml2, patch included.
- Memory leak in SRF It seems the consensus on this thread is that this won't get fixed for now, because it's a small issue
- Weird page allocation pattern
- Streaming replication and pg_xlogfile_name() - just throw an error in 9.0. better solution planned in 9.1.
- infinite repeat of warning message in standby
- rhaas says: to the extent that there's an issue here, it seems we don't know what to do about it
- xpath improvement V2
- Alternative return value for pg_cancel_backend
- pg_controldata - machine readable? - planned for 9.1. contrib module version is in github.
- tsearch profiling - czech environment - take 55MB
- add signaling between walreceiver and startup process
- change ruleutils.c to print the parameter expressions at the call site
- Idle in transaction query cancellation
- WAL optimization for Move tablespace
- DML Permission Checks - for SE-PostgreSQL integration in 9.1.
- CVS filtering of DOS newlines - git could be solve the issue with "git config core.autocrlf input".
- don't rename index columns behavior has already broken JDBC
- Not our bug, but we needed to communicate to third-party authors.
- Bizarre buildfarm failure on baiji: can't find pg_class_oid_index
- rhaas says: It would be nice to fix this, but we don't know how to investigate it, and it's not a release blocker.
- BUG #5574: PANIC on hot-standby: heap_update_redo
- tgl says: apparently just pilot error
- sriggs says: yes, user panic, not code PANIC