PostgreSQL 8.4 Open Items
From PostgreSQL wiki
This is a list of tasks that need to finish before 8.4 is complete. Current version at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items
- Change behavior of statement-level triggers for inheritance cases?
- gsmet says: no patch written yet and it's probably something we'll need to backpatch so I don't think is a beta blocker
- rhaas says: TODO
- finishing posix_fadvise patch
- gsmet says: no patch yet and no consensus on the solution yet: should be bumped to 8.5
- rhaas says: I'm not convinced the original design was wrong, but there's probably no time to rehash it now.
- GetCurrentVirtualXIDs() (is this patch safe?)
- gsmet says: should be bumped to 8.5 - submitted far too late and no real answer to tgl's objection at the moment.
- PQinitSSL broken in some use cases
- gsmet says: not a beta blocker IMHO but would be nice to fix it
- mha says: isn't this a beta blocker because it would add a function to the shared libraries, thus requiring a version number bump?
- tgl says: in the past we have not considered that adding a function requires a soname bump. But in general feature additions should not happen after beta starts. So either this blocks beta or it goes to 8.5.
- rhaas says: mmconcure was one of the instigators of this IIRC and he's OK with postpoing to 8.5
- change cardinality() for multi-dim arrays?
- gsmet says: not a beta blocker IMHO but it's a must fix for 8.4
- tgl says: well, we either fix it or decide it's okay as is. But we have to make a decision now; once 8.4 ships we'll be stuck with the behavior.
- rhaas says: since it's only a compatibility function, the right answer is arguable; I don't see much reason to second-guess Peter's decision
- postgresql.conf: patch to have ParseConfigFile report all parsing errors, then bail
- gsmet says: might be a good idea to commit it before beta. People are going to fine tune their 8.4 installation at the start of the beta phase and it seems like a good opportunity to exercise this code
- rhaas says: new feature, bump to 8.5. tgl agreed on -hackers.
- small but useful patches for text search
- gsmet says: no strong opinion on these ones. They were submitted far too late but they are small, useful and not likely to have any side effect elsewhere.
- rhaas says: new feature, bump to 8.5
- Additional DTrace Probes
- gsmet says: not a beta blocker. Not sure we want to commit them though. The patch is pretty small. These probes were originally submitted in july 2008 as part of a biggest patch and discarded from the patch due to comments. They were fixed in march 2009.
- rhaas says: tgl points out that this has not been reviewed yet, either. i think we should bump to 8.5.
- what to do about expensive args to DTrace probes?
- gsmet says: IMHO, if we plan to build more binaries with DTrace enabled by default (tgl thought about enabling them in the RH/Fedora RPM packages), it should be fixed before the beta. Otherwise, it doesn't sound like a beta blocker.
- tgl says: both the DTrace and systemtap experts say that manual protection of an expensive probe with an if (foo_ENABLED()) test is the preferred way. I'm not thrilled with that but should probably defer to their judgment.
- pg_standby trigger behavior is dangerous
- gsmet says: not a beta blocker but should be fixed in 8.4 and perhaps backpatched.
- rhaas says: backpatching sounds like a bad idea to me, but I could see fixing it for 8.4 if we can get it done RSN.
- typedefs for pg_indent
- tgl says: this isn't a beta blocker, though we'd like to have it done before we do the pg_indent run for 8.4.
psql \d issues
- psql \d commands and information_schema
- Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent
- gsmet says: submitted in February and wanted behavior still discussed. Definitely 8.5 material.
- The whole user/system behavioral issue ...
- change psql's \df output for window functions?
- gsmet says: cosmetic issue, not a beta blocker
- posix_fadvise doesn't work on Solaris?
- pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext to the correct encoding on Windows.
- gsmet says: AFAICS waiting for Magnus' feedback
- some issues in new GIN code
These issues also affect existing branches, so strictly speaking they are not blockers for putting out an 8.4 beta.
- GiST picksplit (maybe GIN too?) can fail
- OK to use built-in getopt_long (not getopt) on Solaris?
- pg_start_backup() takes too long
- tgl says: maybe a documentation update is sufficient to resolve this?
- mrenner says: For now documentation or logging should be sufficient, should be revisited in 8.5 though for larger-than-standard checkpoint_intervals & completion targets
- Polymorphic types vs. domains
- Python 3.0 does not work with PL/Python
- Perl/libxml incompatibility
- Possible patch here, but it desperately needs testing
- possible bug in cover density ranking?
- BUG #4721: bad side-effects of limiting number of clauses that predtest will consider
- BUG #4622: xpath only work in utf-8 server encoding
- contrib/intarray opclass definition needs updating
- BUG #4694: uppercase path problem on Windows
- Path separator consistency on Windows
- BUG #4655: Spelling mistake in windows installer
- tgl says: this is something for the one-click installer, not core Postgres.
- Should we have a LOCALE option in CREATE DATABASE?
- Should we reject toast.fillfactor in reloptions? Because toast tables are never updated.
- Consider reverting preventing regular users from base type creation