PostgreSQL 8.4 Open Items
From PostgreSQL wiki
This is a list of tasks that need to finish before 8.4 is complete. Current version at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items
- Change behavior of statement-level triggers for inheritance cases?
- finishing posix_fadvise patch
- GetCurrentVirtualXIDs() (is this patch safe?)
- PQinitSSL broken in some use cases
- change cardinality() for multi-dim arrays?
- postgresql.conf: patch to have ParseConfigFile report all parsing errors, then bail
- small but useful patches for text search
- Additional DTrace Probes
- what to do about expensive args to DTrace probes?
- pg_standby trigger behavior is dangerous
- typedefs for pg_indent
- tgl says: this isn't a beta blocker, though we'd like to have it done before we do the pg_indent run for 8.4.
psql \d issues
- psql \d commands and information_schema
- Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent
- The whole user/system behavioral issue ...
- change psql's \df output for window functions?
- posix_fadvise doesn't work on Solaris?
- pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext to the correct encoding on Windows.
- some issues in new GIN code
- window function failure when tuplestore swaps out its state
These issues also affect existing branches, so strictly speaking they are not blockers for putting out an 8.4 beta.
- GiST picksplit (maybe GIN too?) can fail
- OK to use built-in getopt_long (not getopt) on Solaris?
- pg_start_backup() takes too long
- tgl says: maybe a documentation update is sufficient to resolve this?
- Polymorphic types vs. domains
- Python 3.0 does not work with PL/Python
- Perl/libxml incompatibility
- Possible patch here, but it desperately needs testing
- possible bug in cover density ranking?
- BUG #4721: bad side-effects of limiting number of clauses that predtest will consider
- BUG #4622: xpath only work in utf-8 server encoding
- contrib/intarray opclass definition needs updating
- Potential problem with HOT and indexes?
- BUG #4694: uppercase path problem on Windows
- Path separator consistency on Windows
- BUG #4655: Spelling mistake in windows installer
- tgl says: this is something for the one-click installer, not core Postgres.
- Should we have a LOCALE option in CREATE DATABASE?
- Should we reject toast.fillfactor in reloptions? Because toast tables are never updated.
- Consider reverting preventing regular users from base type creation