Detailed installation guides
From PostgreSQL wiki
Any UNIX-Like Platform
- Gentoo: PostgreSQL Guide (2007-04-25)
- Linux: Installing Apache, PostgreSQL, and PHP on Linux by Chris Smith (2006-02-07)
- PostgreSQL and SELinux
- Installation of Postgres Plus Standard Server v8.3 Tutorial for Linux
Debian based installs have a somewhat unique design that allows multiple database clusters to be managed independently. This allows running both multiple database instances as well as multiple versions more easily than other packaging schemes.
- Debian PostgreSQL Wiki. As pointed out there, really detailed documentation is available on the server at /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.Debian.gz ; you should copy this file to another directory and run gunzip README.Debian.gz if you'd like a readable version.
- Using PostgreSQL on Debian and Ubuntu (2009)
- Install Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition, Rails, PHP, Passenger, PostgreSQL, and MySQL - the "database" section here is a concise guide to the standard PostgreSQL installation work most systems need to password-protected remote access, and it also covers installing the server side tools for pgAdmin (2009-05-25)
- Install PostgreSQL on Ubuntu 8.04 (2008-05-14)
- Howto setup Database Server With postgresql and pgadmin3 (has a nice intro to general postgresql.conf/pg_hba.conf info applicable to all distributions)
- PostgreSQL Database Server Configuration in Debian
- Using the PostgreSQL Database Server
- postgresql clustering and Debian
- Upgrading to PostgreSQL 8.3 in Debian from 7.4
- FreeBSD: Upgrading PostgreSQL on FreeBSD (2011-01-01)
- FreeBSD: Installing PostgreSQL on FreeBSD (2010-01-11)
- FreeBSD: PostgreSQL Installation on FreeBSD (2002-08-24)
- FreeBSD: PostgreSQL and Perl on FreeBSD (2000-12-26)
- MacOS X: Install PostgreSQL 9 on OS X (2010-11-25) - Easy install using Homebrew package manager.
- MacOS X: Installing PostgreSQL on Mac OS X (an alternative guide using EnterpriseDB) by Jeremiah Peschka (2010-02-15)
- MacOS X: PostgreSQL on MacOS X (another alternative guide) by Michael Brewer (2002-07-06)
- MacOS X: PostgreSQL on Mac OS X
- Solaris 10: PostgreSQL 8.2.1 on Solaris 10 – Deployment Guidelines by Chris Drawater (2007-01-15)
- Solaris 10: Related documents for J2EE, Tomcat, and Oracle migrations by Chris Drawater (2007-01-15)
- PostgreSQL 8.1 on Solaris 10 - Deployment Guidelines (160KB - PDF)
Alternative to manual installation
Some users may prefer to skip manual installation by using a pre-integrated PostgreSQL software appliance.